Tuesday, May 1, 2012

It Isn't Just ANY Cabin in the Woods

My wife and I went to see the movie The Cabin in the Woods the other night.  I loved it; she hated it.

I had heard so many good things about this film on forums and facebook that I had to check it out.  I see maybe two or three movies on the big screen per year due to lack of quality film, bad experiences with fools in the audience, and the ridiculous ticket prices, but this one I couldn't pass up.  I happened to have two free movie passes, but I would have gladly paid full price because, for the first time in quite a while, I was really looking forward to seeing The Cabin in the Woods.

What can I say about this film?  Not much, and I'll tell you why.  You may not have seen it yet and I'm am not going to spoil it for you.  I could warn of spoilers, but that may be too tempting for you, and then you would read something that would tarnish the fine experience that is The Cabin in the Woods.  What I will say is that this film is something the horror genre has begged for, something horror film has needed, and something that I hope will open some eyes as to what we, fans of horror, want, because this film, in many ways, is a farewell of sorts, paving the way for what is next.  And just what is next?  I don't know.  I just hope it isn't the same ole same ole, because I've been getting bored with horror film as of late.  To quote the Cramps: "I need a new kind of kick!"

The Cabin in the Woods was a new kick.  Now I want another kick, and another, and another...

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment