Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Review of 'The Infinite' by Douglas Clegg

I finished reading Douglas Clegg's The Infinite last week and I thought I would share my thoughts on the book.  First off, it was the Leisure mass market paperback edition.  Whether or not it is still available, I do not know.  I have been holding on to this copy for quite some time and just got around to reading it.  My TBR pile is astonishing to say the least.

That being said, I give the book 4 out of 5 stars.

The Infinite is from the Harrow series, of which I have only read Nightmare House, though you don't have to have read the previous Harrow books to be able to understand this one.  It stands alone quite nicely filling the reader in on the happenings of Harrow enough for one to get the bigger picture.  In The Infinite three strangers with special abilities are brought to a haunted house for a sum of money in hopes of eliciting the secrets of the house.  Sounds familiar, right?  Well, it's the interaction between the characters and how very real they are that makes this a great read.  The base idea has been done before, bringing strangers into a haunted house, but the depth of the characters and the history of Harrow carries the story to a crescendo of an ending with some very memorable scenes that are still lingering in my mind.

I felt that the beginning was a little slow, a series of character profiles, which is something that usually loses my interest in a novel, however Clegg is a gifted author and he has the ability to lock my eyes on the pages.  I imagine he could write about a sterile white bathroom and I would read to the end.  Yes, I've read several of his other books and found them even better than this one, but that shouldn't take away from what The Infinite has to offer.  If you're looking for gut-busting violence and bloodshed, look elsewhere.  If you're looking for a thought provoking tale of real people dealing with the supernatural, give this one a shot.  And, if you haven't yet read Douglas Clegg...what the hell are you waiting for!

No comments:

Post a Comment